Congress abandons bid to reverse Trump deal with ZTE

FILE - In this May 8, 2018, file photo, Chinese men pass by a ZTE building in Beijing, China. A bipartisan effort in Congress clamp down on China telecom giant ZTE is being stripped from the final version of a big defense bill, aides said July 20, essentially green-lighting the Trump administration’s approach to the company that was accused of selling sensitive information to hostile regimes. Senators from both parties expressed outrage and concern (AP Photo/Ng Han Guan, File)

WASHINGTON — Congress is abandoning an effort to clamp down on the Chinese telecom giant ZTE in a defense bill, essentially green-lighting the Trump administration's deal to save a company that was accused of selling sensitive information to hostile regimes, aides said Friday.

Senators from both parties expressed outrage Friday that the revised defense legislation, which will be unveiled early next week, guts a provision to reinstate penalties and restrict the Chinese company's ability to buy U.S. component parts. ZTE was almost forced out of business after being accused of selling sensitive information to nations hostile to the U.S., namely Iran and North Korea, in violation of trade laws.

President Donald Trump in May warned the ban was causing heavy job losses in China and said he had discussed the matter with Chinese President Xi Jinping. The Commerce Department reached a deal with ZTE to lift the ban in June, allowing the company's business with the U.S. to resume.

Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., an architect of the anti-ZTE language in the defense bill, said on Twitter he was surprised that House and Senate leaders negotiating the compromise "caved so easily."

Democratic Sen. Mark Warner of Virginia called the outcome "a huge mistake."

"Beyond frustrated that Republican leaders are caving to the Trump Administration's demands on ZTE. This can only make our country less safe," he tweeted.

Both lawmakers are members of the Senate intelligence committee and have raised concerns about the Chinese company and the White House's approach to it.

Congress was pressured by the White House to yield, with the administration making clear to lawmakers that it viewed the language as tying its hands, according to a source granted anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the negotiations.

The Republican-controlled Senate had tucked the ZTE language into the annual defense bill this summer, delivering a rare rebuke of the White House after it eased up on the telecom company. While the House version of the defense bill blocked the U.S. government purchases and contracting with ZTE, the Senate version went further, reinstating penalties on the company and blocking export provisions.

An aide said the group of House and Senate lawmakers who were appointed to negotiate a compromise between the two bills thought the Senate went too far in inserting Congress into the administration's decision-making. House Armed Services Committee Chairman Mac Thornberry, R-Texas, viewed it as a separation of power issue. The aide was granted anonymity because the person was not authorized to discuss the talks.

Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer said the outcome was just another example of Trump "being weak" against foreign leaders "while Republicans just follow along."

Schumer said, "By stripping the Senate's tough ZTE sanctions provision from the defense bill, President Trump - and the Congressional Republicans who acted at his behest - have once again made President Xi and the Chinese Government the big winners and the American worker and our national security the big losers."

The Commerce Department barred ZTE in April from importing American components for seven years after concluding that the company deceived U.S. regulators after settling charges last year of sanctions violations.

The decision amounted to a death sentence for ZTE, which relies on U.S. parts. The company quickly announced it was halting operations. The ban also hurt American companies that supply ZTE

But the U.S. and China reached a deal that allows ZTE to stay in business in exchange for paying an additional $1 billion in fines and agreeing to let U.S. regulators monitor its operations.

Follow Mascaro on Twitter at https://Twitter.com/LisaMascaro

Must Read

Sept. 11 memorial motorcycle ride ending on a...

Aug 10, 2016

Leaders of a massive, annual motorcycle procession to the three Sept. 11 crash sites say this...

Texas deputy fatally shot at his home was facing...

Aug 10, 2016

A Texas sheriff's deputy who was killed by a bullet from his own gun outside his home late last...

US: 45,000 Islamic State fighters taken off...

Aug 10, 2016

A top U.S. commander says that the military campaigns against the Islamic State group in Iraq and...

Trump accuses Obama of being the 'founder of ISIS'

Aug 11, 2016

Donald Trump accused President Barack Obama on Wednesday of establishing the Islamic State group...

Christie denies lying, but more info likely in...

Aug 11, 2016

The revelation that a former staffer of Gov. Chris Christie texted that she believed Christie lied...

Sign up now!

About Us

In The Headline sought to bring professionalism back into journalism, bringing you only the most exclusive and the most impactive news from all over the globe.

Contact us: sales[at]intheheadline.com